Car batteries are extremely important since your car will not start without them. The car battery works just like any other battery you have used. It provides an electrical current to your car. The battery itself is rechargeable. When you have a healthy battery and drive your car often, the battery will charge while the vehicle runs.
The reason your vehicle will not start without the battery is that the battery is what provides power to the starter. It also provides electricity to the car’s outlets. This is why leaving things plugged in when the vehicle is turned off is a sure way to drain your battery. Having a drained battery every once and a while and having a battery that refuses to hold a charge are two very different things. If you are experiencing the latter, it may be time to bring your vehicle into Ethan’s Honest Auto for a battery replacement.
When does my battery need to be replaced?
Car batteries are rechargeable but that doesn’t mean they never need to be replaced. It is common to need a battery replacement, and sometimes multiple battery replacements, over the lifespan of the vehicle.
There are a few reasons you may need to have your battery replaced. The first, and most common is age. Most batteries work well until they are about three years old. The battery may last longer, but the likelihood of it failing goes up exponentially. You will want to check a battery that’s older than three regularly for signs it needs to be replaced.
Another reason your battery may fail is that it has sat too long with no charge. Just like all batteries, the longer a lead-acid car battery sits with no charge, the more you are reducing its lifespan.
No matter the age or the reason, a car battery must be replaced when it can no longer be charged. The amount of charge a battery will hold will slowly decrease. By paying attention, you will know when it is time to have Ethan’s Honest Auto change your car’s battery.
Signs my battery needs to be replaced.
So, your battery is getting a little older. You know the time is coming when you will have to have it changed. But, how do you know when to change your car battery? The following signs all signal that it is time to have the specialists at Ethan’s Honest Automotive change your vehicle battery.
- Dim lights: If the lights and electronics in your vehicle—such as the dashboard—are not as bright as they once were, your battery is likely dying.
- The engine doesn’t start well: Batteries are in charge of powering the starter. That is why when your car doesn’t start at all it is likely a discharged battery. If the engine starts slowly or sputters, you may have a failing battery that needs to be replaced.
- Check engine light: The check engine light may come on for many reasons. One of those reasons is a faulty battery.
- Low battery fluid: The translucent part of your battery will show you the battery fluid. If it is low, your battery will not hold or conduct an electrical charge well.
- Leaks: This one probably goes without saying, but if you have a battery leak, you need to get that battery replaced. Battery leaks create corrosion, which can cause a lot more problems with your vehicle.
Why is staying on top of your battery a good idea?
If you have any questions about whether you need to have your battery replaced, contact Ethan’s Honest Auto. It is important to keep an eye on the health of your battery. First of all, a bad battery means you will not be driving your car. Keeping a battery that holds a charge will ensure you don’t get stranded anywhere.
Another reason why you need to keep a good battery in your car is that it helps your vehicle run better. All of the electrics will be given a stable charge. That is important this occurs for the peak performance of your vehicle.
Contact Ethan’s Honest Auto today with any questions or concerns about your battery. We will be happy to take a look and let you know whether a new battery is needed or not. Our customer service professionals are standing by to take your call today!