Winters in Cache Valley and Southeast Idaho can be brutal. Snow, ice, and wind are all common. If you live here, you likely have to drive in these winter conditions. Proper and safe winter driving requires certain car maintenance steps. In the rest of this post, we will tell you everything you need to know about your car in winter.
How to Winterize Your Car
Winterizing your car is essential to keeping it in good working order. Winterizing just means getting a vehicle or boat ready for winter.
Here are the most important steps for winterizing your car.
- Most crucial is bringing your car into Ethan’s Honest Automotive for servicing for the winter. We will check your battery, cooling system, brakes, belts, hoses, wires, and spark plugs. These parts and systems are the most common problem areas for a car in winter.
- While your vehicle is being serviced, you can ask your technician to put on winter tires. You could also choose to do this yourself. Winter tires are specially built to resist freezing temperatures and provide better traction in winter conditions.
- In addition to installing winter tires, you may also want to install winter wipers. This type of wiper is designed to keep ice from the blades. Winter wipers are also heavier than regular wipers, which is important in harsh winters.
- Put a winter safety kit in your vehicle. You can build your own kit or purchase a pre-made one. Winter safety kits include the tools and equipment you will need to stay safe if your car has a problem in the winter. They may include foldable shovels, gloves, heavy clothes, a first-aid kit, matches, ice scraper, flares, etc. It is more dangerous to leave your car in the winter, so you will want to ensure you have included all the items you need to keep warm and find help.
The experts at Ethan’s can walk you through winterization if you have any questions.
How to Maintain Your Car in Winter
Winterizing your car is just the first step. The next part is keeping your car in good condition throughout the winter. This involves regular maintenance and looking for signs of issues. The following steps will help keep your car as efficient as possible this winter.
- Always keep your gas tank at least half full. An empty tank can have condensation build-up, which then leads to gas line freezes. Also, a full tank of gas means more time keeping the car running if you are ever stranded.
- You will want to keep your windshield wiper fluid-filled as well. Windshield wiper fluid can help clear away ice buildup, and so is often used more frequently in winter. You don’t want to be driving in a snowstorm and not be able to clear your windshield.
- Learn the ins and outs of winter driving. This is especially important in Cache Valley, as there are many inclines and declines to navigate. Make sure you are familiar with winter driving safety precautions.
Cars can do well in the winter. You just need to take certain steps to ensure you and it remains safe. If you have any concerns about driving your car this winter, just contact the experts at Ethan’s Honest Automotive.